Saturday, September 25, 2010

Long Drive off a Tall Cliff

Today was Pacific Coast Highway Day, maybe not a national holiday but I think that this drive up route 1 along California's coastline could garner such a recognition.  The idea was to drive close to San Francisco from Santa Barbara and we made it even with taking a few longer stops along the way.


Julia Pfeiffer State Park

While the views can speak for themselves the birds can not and neither can my pictures.  I didn't have a great bird day but I did manage to add a few species to my life list.

Chestnut-backed Chickadee


Steller's Jay- Pacific variety

Western Bluebird- female
Black Turnstone

And of course there was a mammal or two around as well.  Besides the crazy ground squirrels eating out of peoples laps, litterally.  We also saw harbor seal, elephant seal, california sea lion, and sea otter!

Juvenile Elephant Seals

2 comments:

  1. A black turnstone? who even knew about black turnstones... it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a successful trip. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I build an Eastern Bluebird house. You can see it at http://www.myadirondakchair.com

    ReplyDelete