Sunday, January 22, 2012

Slow Going

Hairy Woodpecker- male
It's not that I hate the cold...  I just don't like it.  Instead of hitting all those great little spots that I see posted about or finding some of the rarities, like the Harris's Sparrow that have been seen in Connecticut, I've been hiding out inside in the warm.  I haven't even been taking the normal quick walks around work, instead I've been hiding in the gym working out. 


Hairy Woodpecker- showing off
With the snow yesterday, I headed out this morning to clean off the sidewalks.  After a few eerily quiet minutes a Hairy Woodpecker called and called and called.... finally after about 15 minutes it worked it's way over to the suet to feed for a few minutes.  A neighbor suddenly came outside spooking the Hairy back up into the tree.  Where it called, and called, and called some more.  Then, it flew off making a noise I had never heard before.



Then, I heard a a Hairy Woodpecker call in the same tree the other one had flown out out of.  Sure enough another woodpecker was up in the tree.  It was a male and the other one had been a female.  Pretty exciting that in my practically urban neighborhood is a pair of Hairy Woodpeckers.  Anyway, it was a first of the year for me.  My CT total is only up to about 55 species.  I guess I need to get outside next weekend!
Showing off his red.

No comments:

Post a Comment