Monday, March 8, 2021

2021 in 5 Miles!

 Hello Blog World!

It's hard to believe that I have been away from my blog for 7 years?!?!  I wish I could tell you that you haven't missed out on much of my birding adventures since 2014 but well... there have been quite a few.  In the past year things have obviously been a little bit slower and closer to home.  With 2021 probably having limited traveling opportunities, I have begun a challenge with a friend on the opposite coast.

Gray Catbird


5-Mile Challenge

It's fairly easy, we each bird within a 5 mile radius of our respective houses and whoever has the most species at the end of the year wins the fame and glory or at least an acknowledgement of congratulations from the other.  I'll be birding my 5 miles in Connecticut, mostly upland woodlands with some river access and she will be birding her fairly residential 5 miles in Oregon.  


Black-capped Chickadee



But it's March, you might be thinking to yourself, why are you starting now?  We actually started on January first and I'm losing!  I'm not too worried though as the east coast has a better spring migration than the Northwest with all of the eastern warblers.  So wish us luck and if there's a species you think I should definitely try to get my eyes on, let me know.  



Hairy Woodpecker

My total is just over 50 at the moment but next blog I'll also talk about another challenge I'm doing within the same area.  These little challenges really help to motivate me to get out and explore some areas I might not otherwise.  Happy Birding!.


No comments:

Post a Comment