Thursday, May 6, 2010

A little warbler here, a little warbler there

I took a half day yesterday and finally got outside. I am almost overwhelmed by the songs that assault my ears as soon as I step through the door. It's definitely intimidating to try to even begin to learn the birds and I admit I have not risen to the challenge as of late. Although, I grabbed my coworker Sue yesterday, and dragged (didn't take much) her through a small wooded area at work. The prize of the day for me was to actually be able to put a 'face to the name', with a Yellow Warbler both singing and showing off his bright plumage. The mystery warbler with him is still up for debate.

Gray Catbirds have also come back this week, there is just something about them that I love, maybe it's that I can identify them. LOL. One 'pishing' stop down by the river pulled up a nice mix: House Wren, Common Yellowthroat, Northern Cardinal, American Goldfinch, American Robin, Common Grackle, Gray Catbird, and Bluejay.

On my way home I stopped off at the Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center, saying a quick 'hi' to director Frank Gallo, I headed out to the beach. It was great to see the nesting area roped off and being used. A beautiful day with some fun birds even if it was just a quick stop. Common Grackle, Red-winged Blackbird, American Blackduck, Purple Martin, Common Yellowthroat, Northern Cardinal, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Osprey, Mourning Dove, House Sparrow, Baltimore Oriole (heard only :( American Oystercatcher, Brant, Herring Gull, Ring-billed Gull, Double-crested Cormorant, Least Tern, and lots of peeps I wont even begin to try to ID. It's getting close to being time to buy a scope.

Today's list is off to a start as well. Roaming around campus this morning before work and at break: Mourning Dove, Bluejay, House Wren, Common Grackle, Red-winged Blackbird, Common Yellowthroat, Northern Flicker (at the nest), House Finch, American Goldfinch, House Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, Barn Swallow, Red-tailed Hawk, Song Sparrow, flyover Great Blue Heron, and a falcon (probably Merlin). If the rain doesn't consume the woods, I want to head to the far side of campus and see what over warblers are hiding out. I'll edit and add more if I have a chance and try to add some pictures!


It's tough to hear this video but there are 2 singing birds that I could not ID nor get them to show themselves. If you can hear it and have an idea, lemme know!

No comments:

Post a Comment