Sunday, May 9, 2010

Roosevelt


Today I headed out to the trail at Roosevelt Forest in Stratford. Although, I have been to this park many times before, I had not yet actually explored the trails and subsequently a portion of this open space. I spent about three hours hiking around a few of the major trails, trying to get a glimpse of a few birds and just enjoying this slightly chilly day.

Once again, my lack of auditory bird identification skills came into effect as I failed to ID at least 5 species that were only apparent by calling. But with perseverance or at least patience I was able to see a few great species today. Two Carolina Wrens greeted me beside the parking lot, one of which has a leg band. I wasn't able to get the numbers off of it but I'm sure they'll be around the rest of the season.

A pesky Vireo was calling but I couldn't find it. I did however get a great view of a Scarlet Tanager picking caterpillars off of leaves. My first view of a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher also helped to make it a great afternoon. The best sight of the hike was an Ovenbird that flew up onto a branch about 20 feet away from me in full view and seemed as interested in watching me as I was in watching it. I really wish I my camera at that point! It figures.

At home I have my 'new' hummingbird feeder out after having finished the last few touches. My feeder is made out of things I pulled out of the recycling bin. I just have to wait and see if it'll work! All I know is if I were a hummingbird today, I wouldn't be out flying around in these 30 mile per hour wind gusts.

I did have a fly over of a Snowy Egret though at the house, a first yard sighting for me since moving in just about a year ago. Well, I guess I should go listen to some bird calls and see if anything rings a bell or song from earlier. Good Luck to Brian as he embarks on his cross country birding journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment