Sunday, April 3, 2011

FOY's

This time of year the birdlists and websites that report bird sightings are splashed with the title FOY.  "First Of the Year" sightings are just as it states, a birders first sighting of a species for the calendar year.  With spring finally arriving, not just according to the calendar but in feel this entire weekend more birds have migrated into the area.  I got out of the house this afternoon and did a tour of the coast in town to go find my own FOY's.

Feeling fairly unmotivated I made quick stops at Frash Pond and Short Beach without having much luck.  I then decided to do a driveby of the Seawall and met a well-known birder in Connecticut.  The Seawall had a small group of gulls, including Bonapartes Gulls but a larger group moved in down the road and we went down to examine them closer, although we still were not able to find any of the less common gulls (Little Gull or Black-headed Gull).  I did however get an FOY Northern Gannet that was flying above a large group of Scaup out beyond the gulls.

My companions mentioned a pond and a sighting from a couple days before of a Blue-winged Teal.  So, after making a couple other unsuccessful stops, I went to go find the pond.  I once again met up with my new friends and we managed to find two FOY's for all of us.  the Blue-winged Teal drake was nestled into the reeds taking a nap and a Snowy Egret was working the back side of the pond.  I also found a FOY Osprey flying by the airport, only to a second fly about 50 feet over my house later on.

I'm glad I took the opportunity to not only enjoy the weather but also the birds.  Always nice to meet some local birders who are as friendly and open as I did today.

No comments:

Post a Comment