Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Christmas Counting


(View from the top of the dump in New Haven)

I completely admit to being a slacker with the blogging but not with the birding. I have just finished up all of my planned Christmas Counts, a total of 2 full days and 2 half days. Not to mention we did a little unofficial Christmas bird count here on the grounds at work. I have no idea how many species I saw in total over those 2 weeks but the number is probably north of 100 species. Instead of trying to break down all of the excitement into separate posts, I'll just summarize them all here!

12/19- New Haven Count, We had a group of 10 birders on and off throughout the day. The morning started with owling and calling in about 9 Screech Owls! Then the highlights after day break were; 1 Snow Bunting that we practically stepped on, Greater White-fronted Goose, Snow Goose, and lots of sparrows. All together there wasn't a stand out species but we were lucky enough to get all the ones we always know should be there.

12/27- Stratford-Milford Count, I can't really pull out a species that was extraordinary for the day but the number of American Robins still around was astounding. Also a good day for hawks, Red-tailed, Coopers, and Sharp-shinned with one of our counters seeing a Rough-legged Hawk!

12/30- West Campus unofficial Count- A group of 3 coworkers decided to try birding our 136 acres in Orange/ West Haven. We had 33 species total in the 6 hours of birding. The highlight of this excursion is definitely the Brown Thrasher that was huddled in the Bittersweet tangles.

1/3- Wesport Count, I started out the morning in Westport with a plethora of ducks. A group of 6 Field Sparrows were a treat as well. The best bird of the day for me... the Lesser Black-backed Gull which has apparently been visiting every year for the past 7 years.

1/3- Oxford Count, I took off about lunchtime and headed north to help our single birder doing an entire count area. I never met up but looking over the river I had a total of 27 Common Mergansers!

Yesterday I made a quick swing around Stratford staying in the car as I'm sick :-( I guess I should have gotten out of the car at Long Beach since later posts I've read list a Snowy Owl which would have been a life bird for me! But the best stop was Frash Pond, with Canada Geese, Hooded Mergansers, Bufflehead, Canvasbacks, and a Lesser Scaup swimming in the open areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment