Wednesday, January 20, 2010

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a CRANE!

You heard it right a crane. And not just a few flying over on their way to other parts of the country but one that's just hanging out here in CT. Reports started coming in a couple of days ago about a Sandhill Crane found in a field. With a chance to see not only a great bird for CT, but a life bird for me, I made the plan to go take a peak.

So, Waking up an extra hour early I quickly made my way north to the field that holds a mysterious calling of the crane. Arriving at 7:15am I met up with some friends who had been in the area still searching for the bird. We continued making rounds of the neighborhood for 45 minutes without ever finding our goal. So, with sad hearts, two of us continued on our way to work. My other friend remained behind to continue looking. Sure enough, 30 minutes after we left the bird had shown up in the field it had been seen in yesterday.

With a shoulder that was not making work an easy thing, I decided to take the afternoon off to rest the shoulder before physical therapy. Why drive south to have to head north later, might as well head norther and then south later. (I know I make up words from time to time). Once again I got in my car and drove to find the crane. I arrived to find 3 other birders there and no bird. I was informed the crane had disappeared into the woods about 20 minutes before. I missed it once again! But with a couple of birders coming and going to socialize with and nowhere to be I decided to hang out and wait.

The payoff for patience was great! Without even having to wait that long, I glanced out of the corner of my eye... THE CRANE! I stayed for another 30 minutes until my cold hand said it was time to leave. Three very nice birders let me use their scopes to take a closer look and also attempt a couple of digibinned picts. Here's Sandy!!



165 driving miles = 1 crane, seems like a good equation to me.

1 comment:

  1. yes, Lynn, I am jealous - it's indeed a beautiful bird, sorry I missed it, but I will try again on the weekend!

    ReplyDelete