Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The final day



Babcock/Webb Wildlife Management Area is a location you might never hear of just because those who know about it want to keep it a secret. Today was my first visit and I'm sure it will be repeated. If super heroes are known to travel in fours, the super heros of this park would surely be Sandhill Crane, Red-cockaded Woodpecker, Brown-headed Nuthatch, and Swallow-tail Kite. This was definitely a great way to finish off my vacation.


Red-cockaded Woodpecker

Most of the park is drivable on dirt roads where you may need to wait for a clearing to pass the cars coming in the opposite direction. The visitable section of this 79,013 acre park is mostly slash pine with some flooded meadows mixed in. Rather than telling you about it. Here are some pictures and the list.


Limpkin

Loggerhead Shrike

List: Northern Mockingbird, Gray Catbird, Bluejay, Boat-tailed Grackle, Common Yellow-throat, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Palm Warbler, Osprey, Swallow-tailed Kite, American Kestrel, Red-tailed Hawk, Bald Eagle, Logger-head Shrike, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Little Blue Heron, Limpkin, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Red-cockaded Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Brown-headed Nuthatch, White-eyed Vireo, Brown Thrasher, Eastern Bluebird, Sandhill Crane, and other Warblers, I'll have to use some sleuthing to ID.

Brown-headed Nuthatch


Baby Sandhill Crane

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lynn!!

    Looks like a nice trip to some warmth!! (Not an attempt to rub in the crap weather you return too..) =)

    Just clicked to follow.



    I will be in Florida towards the end of my road trip (probably mid June), and I will be asking for some good birdy spots. Granted, same with Nick B. and his recent AZ trip, the time of year is totally different so...

    As long as I get Limpkin, Reddish Egret and Tropic-bird or Frigate (both would be ncie!!), I'll be OK!


    I am sitting (really, stuck actually) at 304 lifers. My 2010 goal was to reach 400 lifers. Seeing all the species you saw, and Nicks 220+ in just SoCal and AZ in 10 days, in winter, that number jumped to 450, with 500 in my sights.


    Keep up the good stuff!! I'll be checking it out!!


    -Brian-

    ReplyDelete