Monday, March 29, 2010

Rainy Day Excitement

Trumpeter Swans!

That's about all there is to say. Rumor has it that these birds are not listed (yet, there is a 2007 record as well) as having a record in CT before. Originally spotted by Brian, the ID was confirmed by many other birders. What's better than Trumpeter Swans in CT but Trumpeter Swans in Stratford!!!



With Sue joining, we hopped in the car at lunchtime and rushed over to see them. And for sure it was worth the time!! We found a place to park and walked back over to the easiest viewing spot. First impression was: this is not a Mute Swan! These beautiful swans were large and graceful looking. They were moving slowly across the pond, feeding along the way. Hopefully, they will hang around a few more days, until the rain stops and I can get some nicer shots!



Also, the Killdeer have made an appearance at work. I'm hoping that they decide to nest on campus, last year we had 2 that were hanging around most of the summer. On Friday I had three running around the guard station, here are 2 of the 3.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lynn,

    I've been kinda keeping track of the CTbirds people and other e-mails, and it seems CT has had at least 5, not including these two, that have been seen in CT since '99. Though, some were tagged, or tracked down as escapees.

    When I found them, I called a few people, but had to go drop my mom's car off and pick up my pick-up (lol). When I got back (I live like barely 2 miles south of the pond (condos across from Flood MS), Frank was there and pointed out an interesting field mark, that would most likely NOT be seen in any tagged goose/swan... the back toe nail gets clipped to show that it is indeed 'owned'. These monsters were intact. =) Kinda like the feral cats in the NYC area that have a small cut in their ear to let the ACOs know it has already been fixed.

    Despite the tough traffic/parking locale, the pond is small enough to give good looks at the birds wherever they are. (Did Chris L. have to get permisson for us to go in there on the CBC?? I think Twan did for BioBlitz purposes.)

    -Brian-

    (PS... I like the Killdeer photo. I love when any bird stands on one leg!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Killdeer photos too. I linked my West Campus post with the swan story to your blog, so folks can see your photos of those two beauties.

    ReplyDelete